Monday, October 18, 2010

Guidecraft Rainbow Blocks

Guidecraft Mom Blogger

We recently received a set of wooden blocks.  But not just any wooden blocks, mind you.  Rainbow blocks from Guidecraft.  They had actually been on my wish list for Mr. Smiley. 

image

His brothers have some wooden blocks that are fun . . . but they aren’t very exciting to a two-year old.  They lack color and well . . . size.

 soccer 021 

Now, Smiley doesn’t do all the creative castles and flowers that his brothers make, but he loves to line all of the rainbow blocks up vertically.

soccer 001

______________

soccer 027

And I’m happy to let him explore gravity, create order, and have elementary concepts introduced to him in a fun way (i.e. colors and shapes).

I love the concentration and creativity that he displays when just allowed to have free play.

soccer 031

Most often, though, you will find Mr. Smiley playing peek-a-boo with his new Rainbow Blocks.

review toys 010

Meanwhile, his brothers like to stack the blocks,

soccer 019

make flowers, 

soccer 022

and sort.

daybook 001

Toys like this (that are open-ended), I simply allow my children to play.  I don’t provide a structure for them or a specific learning “moment” per sea, though I could have.  I’ve had opportunity. 

We have so many structured learning times throughout the day that I try to give them breaks to allow them to learn and explore on their own. 

review toys 012

I’m sure that some of the other Guidecraft Mom Bloggers will have some great ideas to share with you of other ways to play with the Rainbow Blocks, not to mention a giveaway over at Confessions of a Homeschooler starting today! 

image

You can purchase a 30 piece set (or larger) of rainbow blocks that feature the hardwood frame with soft, rounded edges and colored plexi interiors at Guidecraft for $60.   This toy is recommended for ages 3 and up, but as you can see, my two year old loved it!

Once again, a big thanks goes out to Guidecraft for allowing me to be a part of their Mom Bloggers Review Team.  I was not paid for this post nor do I have to return this colorful toy!  (My kids would be so upset at the mailman if I did!)

blog comments powered by Disqus