Saturday, October 16, 2010

Somewhat Healthy Sticky Buns

Women have influence.  Remember what I talked about the other day?

Well, recently Mama Jenn blogged about her sticky buns.  But I couldn’t talk her into getting on a plane and traveling to my house to personally deliver them.  She influenced my taste buds, though.

It was imperative that I have one.

My mom and I couldn’t find a bakery nearby.  (And I realized too late that Jenn already had a recipe for Sticky Buns on her blog.)

I decided to make a healthy version of the delicious sticky bun.

review toys 028

OK . . . sticky buns minus the oozing, warm, melt-in-your-mouth icing.  I had no patience to  wait for icing.   I never found a good recipe for icing that LACKED powdered sugar. 

review toys 030

The recipe (since Theresa was asking for it . . . )

Jodi’s Sticky Bread that Isn’t So Sticky

  • 4 - 4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 pkg yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp yeast, 1/4 cup warm water, 1 tsp sugar)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 cup honey (or maple syrup)
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • and find your own icing recipe!

In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour and yeast. 

Meanwhile, heat and stir milk, 1/3 cup honey, 1/3 cup butter and salt until just warm.  Add milk mixture to dry mixture, along with eggs.  Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl.  Beat on high speed for 3 minutes, adding as much of the remaining flour as you can. 

(There are a few other steps that you could do . . . but I skipped these!)  Gotta love me!

Shape dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl.  Cover and let it rise in a warm, cozy place (preferable out of your dog’s reach). 

If you are in a foul mood, punch the dough after it has doubled in size.  Otherwise, tickle it down and allow it to rest 10 minutes. 

Spank  the dough into a rectangle, preferably on a clean and floured countertop.  Mix cinnamon, honey, and melted butter together and then brush over dough.

review toys 007

Roll up the dough into a cocoon, starting with the long side of the rectangle.  Slice each roll according to how large of a sticky bun you would like to eat.  Place in a greased pan (8x8 or 9x13), cover, and allow to rise nearly double.

review toys 023

Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or till golden.

Enjoy!

review toys 032

blog comments powered by Disqus