Thursday, October 14, 2010

In Every Heartbeat: A Review

Since finishing B90x, I have resumed my nighttime reading.  Normally, I finish historical fiction novels in two nights tops.  However, I slowly soaked my way through this book.  Perhaps I simply wanted to go westward in my mind.  Ride a horse or participate in a gun fight (though one does happen a the end of this novel). 

I suppose my struggle with this book lies in the fact that it confused me.  There existed three main characters, Libby, Pete, and Bennett.  All best friends joined at the hip due to their upbringing in an orphanage.  Pete is in training to be a pastor and for a major assignment decides to write editorials condemning the writing of romantic story writing in women’s periodicals.  image Libby, however, is quite enthralled with this subject and accomplishes the task of writing such stories with great ease. 

Yet, I wonder:  why does author, Kim Sawyer, go to such great lengths at writing such a persuasive argument against romantic fiction . . . yet her book is that very thing which was so eloquently critiqued?

I don’t have an answer, but it was an issue I struggled with. 

So, my recommendation . . . borrow the book from a friend or check it out from your local library.  My copy will be found on Paperbackswap

Thank you Bethany House for sending me this book to review for free.  I did enjoy having some light reading to occupy my mind.  I was not paid for this post, nor do I have to return the book. 

blog comments powered by Disqus