Friday, November 20, 2009

GyMathtics -- A Review

My kids think that exercise videos are the cats meow. Initially, I didn't let my children watch child-directed shows on the electronic monster. Mr. Smackdown especially didn't watch any TV until he was close to 3 years old. It is only this year that our TV watching has increased, but a large part of their viewing is of exercise videos!



So when we received the kid friendly exercise video titled GyMathtics by Exploramania, the boys were excited to watch something other than a video from The Biggest Loser.


Photobucket

The video is perky, happy, and educational. Throughout the exercise segment, math facts from 2nd-5th grade are incorporated while moving your body, providing a multi-sensory learning experience. Though some of the math concepts are ahead of our learning, it is preparing their brain to accept the facts when they are officially introduced. The kids are happy to watch TV and move around, and I am happy they are learning while purposefully moving around during a TV program.


Your $24.99 purchase contains 30 minutes of:
  • Shape Stretches Warm Up: Stretch your mind and body with line, circle, and polygon stretches.
  • Counting Calisthenics: Aerobic movements work your heart as fun counting concepts work your brain.
  • Pattern Power: Growing and repeating pattern exercise combinations challenge minds and strengthen muscles.
  • Well-Being Wind Down: Relaxing stretches cool down the body and open the mind to think about healthy lifestyle choices including the Nice Wave Stretch and Big Dream Stretch.
The highlight of Mr. Smackdown's workout is when he gets to High Five Miss Carrie, the instructor and founder of Exploramania.

All in all, we have really enjoyed this perky (did I already say that?) DVD. I would most definitely ask for it as a gift, or rent it from the library or Netflix. But because my children are very active, I am not worried about a sedentary lifestyle that leads to obesity. However, if I know of such a child or had said child, I would DEFINITELY purchase this video with my own money.

Thanks so much, Exploramania! My kids love your video!

Click on the Homeschool Crew banner to read other reviews on this product


As a member of the Homeschool Crew, I was given this product to review, and I do not have to return the product to the vendor. I was not paid for this post. All opinions expressed in this post are delightfully mine.


0 comments: